Saturday, December 26, 2015

My Apocalyptic/Fallout Christmas Tree






I am very happy with my tree. Took a long time though! In the picture you can see my Fallout shrine/table/thing. I'll have a video up about all the little goodies later...maybe tomorrow? I'll also show my tree off better in that. I just wanted to post a quick pic since I'm pretty tired.

But for now I'll try to focus on what I did to make the tree. Starting at the bottom we have a can I rusted using hydrogen peroxide and salt (I followed this tutorial: http://mixedkreations.com/blog/2015/10/how-to-make-rusty-cans/). It took FOREVER. That 5-6 times? BS. I had to do it multiple times and I didn't get anywhere near as rusty. I'd say the cans in that picture have been enhanced with paint. What sped the process up a tiny bit was using a old pan, filling it with hydrogen peroxide, salt and water. I used a ton of HP and salt...way to much for this project.

Inside the can I have floral foam that I stuck the sticks in and it's being weighed down by rocks I found in my yard.

The "tree" is made up of dead branches I found in my yard. I just scrubbed them clean with some rain water I had in a bucket and dried them near our stove.

The ornaments are the Vault Boy Christmas ornaments (which you can find at Thinkgeek right now on sale) and Fallout 3/NV food I made out of cardstock and printed images. The images are here if you want to make them or full size ones yourself: http://emptysamurai.deviantart.com/gallery/26317417/fallout-props  Sadly he hasn't finished making all of them and I doubt he ever will...I think he stopped making props. Also some of the designs are...well stupid. They're a hassle to put together because he didn't put all the fold lines on the images. It's a work it out as you go along thing. I had to end up cutting part of the design out on two of them just so they could fit together. Frustrating. I used paper clips for the hangers.

The "star" is a Nuka Cola spinner key chain from Gamestop. I love Nuka Cola so I had to top it with something Nuka Cola related. I was going to try to make a Nuka Cola bottle paper craft I saw but I ran out of time and it looked difficult.

But I had fun making this and I think I'll keep the tree up and around. I like my idea of an apocalyptic Christmas...it's fun, different and it's something I can really enjoy. I think I'll do this next year...I just have to start in on it sooner!

I'd like to make more ornaments and maybe a bottle cap garland next time round...as well as that Nuka Cola paper craft. I'd also like to make my village...

Since I have no idea if I can finish it in time...I doubt it...and I'm also making one because I ran out of time...I might as well tell you what I was going to make. I was going to make a shack village. Think shacks you find in the wasteland. Or this: https://trialbyfiregames.wordpress.com/page/2/

For lack of a real tutorial I had to sort of make a guess at everything. I cut out some walls and such out of that corrugated cardboard, hot glued it to a thicker piece of cardboard, hit it with some black spray paint as a primer and then used a spray paint that looks like hammered metal. And that's about where I am now...waiting for it to lose that spray paint smell...I'll hand paint details and grime on after a while but for now I need to get the stink off of it before I can work on it. But I just ran out of time for it. I was planning on making at least three different shacks, a normal one, a rounded one and possibly a two storied one. But for now just a normal one will be made to see if I like it. I'm making it big enough to fit the Fallout mystery minis from Funko. I own two of them as well as a "walker" from The Walking Dead that sort of looks like a ghoul...? I wanted to get more of the minis but...costs to much lol.

Anyways next on the list is to finish up my food reviews...post that video of the Fallout stuff and...that's it. I think...?

No comments:

Post a Comment