Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Two Retro Christmas Recipes!

Consider these two recipes my gifts to you, my readers. I'm a very picky eater so when I say these two are great...they're great.

Oyster Cracker Crack:

Recipe Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon dried dill
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 16-oz. box oyster crackers
  • 1 1-oz. packet Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
  • ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper, and/or garlic powder

Recipe Directions

  • Preheat the oven to 250°F.
  • In a small bowl, add the oil, Hidden Valley Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix, dill, and lemon pepper and/or garlic powder. Stir until mixed through.
  • In a 1-gallon-size zipper bag, add the crackers and oil mixture.
  • Seal the bag and toss until well-coated.
  • Arrange the crackers on an ungreased half-sheet pan in a single layer.
  • Bake the crackers for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. 
It's really really addictive, so be warned. I'd go easy on the garlic powder, maybe only a light sprinkling...adding the amount in the recipe made the crackers very salty...but still super good. And they are good without needing to be baked but 10 times better when you bake the flavors in.

I originally found the recipe on Dinosaur Dracula: http://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/xmas-ads-1980s/

I was interested in it because it was "retro"ish (from the 1980s) and it sounded good. Turns out the recipe is still being printed on boxes of Hidden Valley seasoning mix. I guess they know when they have a good thing?


Ambrosia Orange Jello Salad:

Recipe Ingredients

  • 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
  • cold water
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 pkg. (6 oz.) orange Jello Gelatin
  • 1-1/2 cups thawed Cool Whip
  • 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1-1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut

Recipe Directions

Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Add enough cold water to juice to measure 1 cup. Add boiling water to gelatin mix in large bowl; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved. Stir in measured liquid. Refrigerate 1-1/4 hours or until slightly thickened.
Whisk in Cool Whip until well blended. Refrigerate 10 min. or until mixture will mound. Stir in pineapple, oranges, marshmallows and coconut. Spoon into 6-cup mold sprayed with cooking spray.
Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Unmold.

Now before anyone flips out at the thought of Jello "salad" it's fruit...don't worry. Also if you hate Cool Whip? You can't taste it...trust me. I hate Cool Whip but I love this!

Some things to note. Instead of cold water I used the mandarin orange juice and put it in with the pineapple juice. I also used like 2/3 of a cup of the mandarin juice. I didn't put coconut in because my mom hates coconut and I didn't find any in our pantry. I also just put it all in one large bowl because I can't be arsed to use molds. I'd also suggest getting to the Jello faster then an hour or so...I got to it a bit late and it was all ready pretty thickened.

This recipe can easily be changed around to suit you or your families tastes...don't like orange? Use lime Jello. Hate pineapple? Use another fruit. My dad loves nuts so if you like nuts as well, maybe throw some in instead of using the coconut. Personally I could take nuts or leave em...but I left them out because I want this to be creamy smooth.


Sorry the picture isn't that great but again...I didn't use a fancy mold. I also topped it with whip cream because I love whip cream. The flavor is so orangey and fresh. Very creamy and smooth. I've had Jello fruit salads and I always hate them because they put fruit that I dislike in them but this one is great. If I had to be critical...I'd ditch the pineapple next time and go pure orange. Or I'd spice it up and pair another Jello flavor with mandarin oranges. Maybe strawberry?

Anyways I hope this convinces you to try one of these two retro recipes. I absolutely love looking at retro recipes because they look and sound so gross but these two are very good.

Tomorrow I hope to have at least one craft done...I blame my hot glue gun this time...I thought it was broken but turned out the outlet where I was plugging it in at was dead...whoops. So that set me back and I've also lost two craft items that I swore I had...I have proof I bought them but...they never made it into the bag? idk I'm going to visit Joann's tomorrow and see if I can convince them to give me store credit or something...feh. I also hope tomorrow we won't get rain because I need to spray paint something and dealing with weather is really screwing up my plans. But I will have pictures of a finished craft tomorrow and some...thoughts on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment