Sunday, January 17, 2016

Update

Thought I'd give a small update to sort of tell myself what I need to do here.

I think I have enough food items for one more review...this time starring cereal...I did not know how many holiday themed cereals there were!

After that my holiday stuff should be done. I hope...getting a little tired of holiday stuff since it's bloody January!

Other then that, it's up in the air. I had a plan that after the holiday stuff I'd post about video games. I'm a collector so I go out and hunt for games. Though that would be more in April/May then right now. It's too cold here for yard sales. But I still manage to dig up games from time to time in between now and then. It's our official "dry season" it starts in late Fall/early Winter and ends like I said in late Spring because of the rain and cold.

This blog is about geeky/gamer life and that's my main geeky/gamerness. But I did conquer my fear of hot glue guns so I might do some geeky/gamer crafts I've been holding off on. I also think it's time I conquer my fear of irons so I can make perler art. Anyone in the geeky/gamer community has seen at least one geeky/gamer related perler project. So most of you should know what I'm talking about. If not, use google.

And I've told myself multiple times that I have so many damn consoles that I need to do something with them...so why not learn how to paint them? Custom painted consoles seem to be a big thing for collectors and I have plenty of consoles to practice on (don't worry fellow collectors, these consoles are really bad off, just one step before going into the bin) so I might post about that if I figure out what paint to use...I've heard auto paint but that shit is pricey!

Another thing I've held off on is custom game cases. Or UGCs known to collectors. UGC stands for Universal Game Case. These things are great for people who collect loose cartridge games or want to protect their original boxes. Again look them up on google. But what they are, are clear plastic cases that will hold some cartridges. I say some because officially they only hold Sega Genesis, SNES, N64 and CD games in the case (PS1/DC). Unofficially most collectors "mod" them to hold any loose game. Modding means they cut the tabs inside the case that hold the games. This takes time, effort and energy to do. More so if your doing a massive collection.

Now my issue with them is having to mod them. Unless you use power tools...you'll be there forever and you'll hurt your hand. And guess who has a fear of power tools? But why not use the case as is and case the games you can? I can hear you ask...well...see the main draw for me to these cases is, cover art! There's a wonderful little site called The Cover Project and it has so many scanned pieces of art from games. People take the art insert (like PS2/Xbox/GC and up era games) and scan those onto the site so for people missing the art for whatever reason can replace it. They also scan the old boxes of retro games (like NES, SNES, N64 and even older games too). On top of the retail art, a lot of people make their own custom artwork to use. Since I'm going for both CIB (complete in box) and loose sets of games, I'd like to use custom artwork for the loose games to make them stand out. I've all ready made a few. But back to the issue...why not case the games you can. I have a junky printer. It runs out of ink fast and...well these covers can take a lot of ink. So my only options are to buy a good printer and good paper, or find a printing shop that will print copyrighted material. See the issue now? A good printer and paper will set you back and finding a shop willing to do that is...rare. The annoying thing is my art will be custom made but will still have the logos/names of games and such that are copyrighted and not my own thing. I can't get around that. That's my issue. Well that and actually getting the UGCs! The shipping is...crazy. It's about $35 for 100 cases...I doubt empty plastic cases cost that much. So yeah not excited about paying that. Thus I haven't done it yet.

But, I would like to. So maybe this year I can finally get into that. I'd like to case my N64 collection since the N64 really is my favorite console. How would this fit into the blog though? I think it would be tips for modding (if I do that) them or just how to do it all. Printing and what not. A lot of people ask how to do it so, might as well.

So tl;dr version:

1. At least one more holiday treat review coming
2. Game hunting posts
3. Geeky/gamer crafts
4. Custom painted consoles?
5. UGCs

And in the...very unlikely chance anyone reads this and is willing to comment, if you have a suggestion on something geeky/gamer related that you'd like me to post about, feel free to say something.

One thing I won't get into is let's plays or reviews. I don't have the equipment to do it, I'm only slightly interested in doing it, and Youtube/the internet is FILLED with people who do that for a living...not a hobby...so adding one more person to the mix is just...not going to work.

That being said I'm more interested in game hunting videos. Now there are a few out there, but not as many as there are of let's players or reviewers. So I could go into it...provided I had a good enough spy cam. I want a spy cam verses something like a gopro cam because a lot of people HATE being filmed and I don't want to have a confrontation about it. A spy cam could be easily hidden, thus less people would see it. But they're not cheap and I'd have to go out hunting a lot more then I do for me to even think about it...I'd also have to be able to drive myself and not rely on someone else. That would make it easier to hunt. So that's way off in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment