Saturday, September 17, 2016

Adventures in Hard Cider...

So one of my goals this year for the Halloween season is to find a hard cider and pumpkin beer/ale that I can live with. Hard when you hate alcohol lol. But I've heard some beers/ales are very pumpkin spicy...so much so they overpower everything else. And I've heard some ciders are sweet. So far I've tried two ciders and I sort of like one of them.

I tried Trader Joe's Henry Hotspur's Hard Pressed for Cider. God awful. Sour, no apple taste at all...I ended up pouring it down the drain. I expected better from TJ.

But the one I...sort of liked was J.K.’s CuvĂ©e Winterruption Farmhouse Hard Cider. I found it at Grocery Outlet of all places. I only got it because there was a wine tasting going on and the guy running it said it "tastes like that instant hot cider with a hint of alcohol." aka that Alpine hot cider I love so much...yeah not quite. It's sweet and tastes of actual flipping apples (go figure) but the alcohol is still there...it's not as bad but...eh. I had to drink it slow and by the time it warmed up...it wasn't that great. So it's good cold out of the fridge but...not room temp at all. It's not my end all cider...I think I'll go back to GO and get another bottle, and try the "premium" priced one that supposedly tastes like apple pie...according to the wine guy. But I'm still on the hunt.

And I've yet to find any pumpkin ale/beer being sold in singles so I can't taste any of them yet...because I'm not buying a pack of the stuff only to toss it out. My parents don't drink so it would be left to me to drink it or toss it...oh well the adventures continue.


No comments:

Post a Comment