A Few Thoughts On Conventions

I think I've mentioned it in my videos or on here, but I was planning on going to a local Anime Con for Halloween. I did. And I made a haul video for it. But I wanted to write down my thoughts on the con, a bit late I know but I've been really busy (my...father is going a bit stir crazy with the need to prepare for Winter) so better late then never.

So the con...Akicon to be more specific. It was a small con, but I went to it because of that. I have social anxiety issues and just...freak out with a lot of people around me. So I thought if I was ever going to do a con...better start small right? I also figured since it was the last time that con was going to be around (supposedly some vendors bought out the ladies who ran the con...so it's on for next year!) it might be my only chance to cosplay and experience a con. But it was...much smaller then I thought.

Anyways I thought I should write down not only my thoughts but also what I learned.

- You DON'T have to cosplay. There are plenty of people who don't, so you won't look out of place.
- Yaoi is much harder to find then Hentai. But both are not as popular as I thought they would be.
- Vendors sell at a MUCH higher price then online. It pays to research prices!
- Make sure you learn the schedule BEFORE you buy the ticket. You might find that you wanted to go another day.
- It pays to drive or have someone willing to drive you home late at night. A lot of the more adult/interesting things happen late at night.
- At the end of the day, prices seem to drop. At least for the artists.
- Artists also sell good stuff, so don't just stick to the vendors!
- Bring a large backpack to fill up. You'll run out of space quickly. Also pack a few grocery bags in, in case people run out and your stuck without a bag.
- Wear COMFORTABLE shoes. Because oh man you will regret it if you don't.
- Arrive early to get a printed schedule, and freebies.
- Don't stick your credit cards in your pocket...I ended up bending my ID that way...I assume I could do the same to a credit card.
- People will largely ignore you if you don't have a costume on/or cosplay as an unknown character.
- People take pictures all the time, so you'll be waiting awhile for people to finish taking pictures if you don't want to be rude.
- Stay hydrated. Might be worth it to smuggle in a water bottle.
- If you're going to eat at one of the cafes, line up early!

It was a mixed bag. On one hand I bought some stuff that I have been wanting for awhile (though I paid more for it...grrr) but on the other hand I didn't get to spend any time with my friend. But I did learn I can do something in a crowded place alone...without freaking out. If I do it again...I'm going to have to plan it out much better. I'm not quite sure if I want to do that con again, but since I faced a personal fear of mine...I think I'm much more willing to do another con. This time the SRGE one aka Seattle Retro Gaming Expo. That's more my style anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment